On today’s Bible Answer Man broadcast, Hank underscores another article in the Christian Research Journal titled “Anti-Intellectualism in the Church.” In the article, Professor Michael Austin asserts that anti-intellectualism is rampant in the church today. We have celebrity pastors that are long on rhetoric, but short on substance. Technique often trumps theology. And those in the pews have become addicted to consumer Christianity and the pursuit of pleasure, but are starved for theological depth. Despite this trend, we must train ourselves to engage in deep thought. As the apostle Paul tells us in Romans chapter 12 not to be conformed to the pattern of this world, but to be transformed by the renewing of our minds.
Hank answers the following questions:
- How can I respond to atheists who say I’m only a Christian because I was born in a Christian culture?
- They also ask about those born into different religions who never hear about Jesus.
Daystar TV often has fundraisers and claims to give the money to Israel; do you think this is legitimate?
- How do we know the Bible is exactly what God wanted us to have when men decided what books would be in the canon?
- My brother is openly gay and points to Old Testament passages that we don’t observe today to justify his lifestyle. How can I lovingly answer him?
- Is tithing still required today?
- Will Jesus’ come down again in physical form and try to prevent us from all-out genocide?
- I had a difficult childhood; how can I honor my father and mother when they were bad parents?
- I was raised as a Mormon and I’ve come to learn that it is false, but I’m having trouble understanding the Trinity. Can you explain it?