The Greg Berlanti–directed film, starring Nick Robinson, is a teen romantic comedy in the vein of its John Hughes–directed predecessors from the 1980s Sixteen Candles and Pretty in Pink. This time, though, the teenage search for romantic love involves the main character’s gay identity. Will he come out of the closet? This film has been well received by movie critics and has earned an A+ rating from filmgoers. Should Christians see the film? How do parents respond if their kids ask to see the film? How do Christians engage with friends about the film’s world view?
We’d also like to invite you to subscribe to the Journal. To subscribe to the Journal, please click here.
When you to subscribe to the Journal, you join the team of print subscribers whose paid subscriptions help provide the resources at equip.org that minister to people worldwide. These resources include our free online-exclusive articles, such as this review, as well as our free Postmodern Realities podcast.
Another way you can support keeping our resources free is by leaving us a tip. A tip is just a small amount, like $3 or $5, which is the cost for some of a latte, lunch out, or coffee drink. To leave a tip, click here.
Other articles and Postmodern Realities podcasts featuring this author:
- Homosexuality and Modern Ministry: Examining Old Approaches and Assessing New Ones Part One: A History of Missions and Missteps
- Part Two of a two-part series: Homosexuality and Modern Ministry: Examining Old Approaches and Assessing New Ones Part Two: Identity, Terminology, and the Revoice Conference“.
- Episode 103 Homosexuality and Modern Ministry: Part Two
- Episode 126 What’s the Problem with Conversion Therapy?
- What’s the Problem with Conversion Therapy?
- Wrestling With The “Gay Christian” Label
- The (Casual) Sexual Revolution (Book Review of: American Hookup: The New Culture of Sex on Campus)
- Boy Erased Movie Review
- When Vague Is in Vogue: A New but Not Improved Approach to Homosexuality Is Growing among Evangelicals
- The Bully Pulpit: When Gay Teens Commit Suicide, Are Preachers to Blame?
- Is “Gay Christian” an Acceptable Identity?
- Of Bathroom Bills and Basic Beliefs
- The Transsexual Dilemma
- Hath God Said? Assessing the Church’s “Change of Heart” about Homosexuality
- When Someone You Love Says, “I’m Gay”
Don’t miss an episode; please subscribe to the Postmodern Realities podcast wherever you get your favorite podcasts. Please help spread the word about Postmodern Realities by giving us a rating and review when you subscribe to the podcast. The more ratings and reviews we have, the more new listeners can discover our content.
Also available on the following Smart Speakers. Ask them to play Postmodern Realities podcast.
Alexa (Amazon) Google Assistant